Tiqti Sud Chapel & Center

Tiqti Sud Chapel & Center

About Me

My photo
Called to be a Lay Missioner with the Franciscan Mission Service in Bolivia

Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Devotional Chicken



Here is the praying chicken photo I wanted to include in an earlier post. She is outside my apartment in Tiqti. She was actually trying to avoid the rooster. Due to her unrespectful approach to my plants I called her owner up and sent her home. I guess her prayers were answered in that she got away from the rooster.

The rooster was also sent to his own home a few months later. The only other chicken had hatched out 6 eggs and no longer needed his services. I was glad to see the blind rooster go because he would crow at 4:00 am, and he attacked plants too.

A few weeks ago I heard the mother hen making a fuss. As she had lost two of her chicks the week before, and I was the only one in the center, I went to see what was happening. A chick was caught in a bucket of water by the outside faucet. It was near drowned, I rescued it, but it couldn't stand. It was shivering and the mother ran away. So I dried it best I could in my shirt and kept it near my belly to warm up.

I tried to see if it would stand every so often. It just kept shivering and couldn't stand. When the sun came out from behind the clouds I held it up to the sun. The feathers were not drying quickly. After about an hour the mother returned and as it had been able to stand a few minutes earlier for the first time, I set it as close to the mom as I could get and it took off running feather still stuck to it's back!



Butterfly and bee, in harmony, feasting on my plants, better than chickens!

No comments:

Post a Comment