Tiqti Sud Chapel & Center

Tiqti Sud Chapel & Center

About Me

My photo
Called to be a Lay Missioner with the Franciscan Mission Service in Bolivia

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday. Dianne, one of my best friends from college, gave me a great Christmas present. A book called A Lenten Journey with Jesus Christ and St. Thérèe of Lisieux, by Fr John Russell, O. Carm. I brought very few books with me, but this one I was very excited about, because it would help me focus on Lent.

I read over some of the preparatory chapters last week. This morning I woke bright and early, to start my Lenten Journey. Each day has the daily gospel reading, quotes from St. Thérèe of Lisieux, a Reflection, and a Prayer.

My reflection began right with the gospel, Matthew 6: 1-6, 16-18, the one that I get stuck on every time it is read on Ash Wednesday. Basically to do your fasting and alms giving, with out blowing your trumpet, for if you do there is your reward. All these things are to be done in secret. (my simplistic version)

Every year I struggle with the receiving of ashes on my forehead. As a ritual and a sign within my Catholic Community it is beautiful and real. It is a commitment to God and one another within the church. The struggle begins as I go out the church door, if I stop at a store on my way home, am I not blowing my horn, that I have been to church??

The opportunity to give alms is constant and on going here in Bolivia. In Sacaba, the town where I was previouly missioned, it hardly ever happened. Here in the city of Cochabamba, there are days that if you actually gave away a coin to each person that asked, you could give away your weekly food allowance. With just a coin that equal to about 15 cents US! 15 cents may not seem a lot to you, but it is a perfectly acceptable alms. You can buy a 12 oz refreshment and a roll. (or 2 rolls) When I last lived here you could buy 5 rolls for 15 cents, the prices have risen drastically for the basics about 100%. The luxury items (soda, cookies) have risen only about 15-20%. Transportation has risen from 0-30%.

Back to the Lenten Reflection. This morning I also reflected on: how I could be a missioner, and follow this gospel. To be able to write a blog and to not toot a horn. Is it possible? I don´t know. Is it a struggle? Yes! I know my goal is not to toot my horn, but to share with whoever wants to read this blog, the stories of the people. To open a window to life in a developing country. If we are all one body, then we are just looking at ourselves, and if we are looking at ourselves, we will see our interconnection.

Abbott Francis Michael said various time to our retreat groups from Jubilee (in years past), that being in the monastery puts him right before God without distractions. I feel in a similar way, that being here in Bolivia, puts me before the face of God constantly, day by day, through faces of the Bolivian people, and through my interactions with them.

May your Lenten Journeys be blessed with a drawing near to God.

1 comment:

  1. Catherine, this is a beautiful Lenten reflection. You look happy in your picture. I know you are doing good works and giving us a window into the stories of the people you work with will help us all to be closer to God. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete