Tiqti Sud Chapel & Center

Tiqti Sud Chapel & Center

About Me

My photo
Called to be a Lay Missioner with the Franciscan Mission Service in Bolivia

Sunday, October 17, 2010

My Newest Neighbor



When I moved to Tiqti Sud in June, I joined a family that lives at the Center as caretakers and gate keepers. I can't imagine living here without the family. Doña Severina and Don Marcial have two boys; Mario, who is in kindergarten and Ariel who will be in kidergarten next year. (pictured above)

They of course get free rent, electric and water for their work at the center. In addition Doña Severina is in charge of the "comedor" which translates to dining room or soup kitchen, though a better translation in this case is lunch program. She recieves no pay for this M-F morning work of overseeing the moms who prepare lunch. The only pay is lunch for the family, and if there are leftovers dinner. Severina and moms get this same pay.

Severina was pregnant when I moved into the Center, and someone told me she would give birth anyday. She didn't look very big and when I asked her, she told me the end of June beginning of July. Being blocks from our nearest neighbors, I let her know she could count on me to call a cab to go to the hospital when her time came. I could also accompany her if her husband was working, or take care of the boys if her husband was at home. She seemed relieved to know I was just a knock on the door away. I figured the plan was set.

The Feast of San Juan Baptista arrived June 24. People were lighting fireworks all over the countryside and city. I joined Doña Severina's family outside to watch, hang out by the fire and watch her boys enjoy their family's supply of small fireworks. Severina asked me what the traditional food is for this feast in the US. I had no idea, anyone have ideas? Bolivia's tradition is hot dogs, spelled just like that!! No perros calientes! You could see fires burning in the hills in the distances, sometimes in huge circles maybe 100-300 yards in diameter.

This was the night Doña Severina let me know that she really didn't want to go to the hospital for the birth of her lastest child. She wanted to have the baby here at home! Well that would make my offer of help play out a little differently! I wanted to be totally clear that I had never had a child, nor had I been at the birth of a child. I even missed the births of Chester, Otis, and Elsie (Rhoda the cow's offspring at Jubilee). I was willing to help, key word help in whatever way, maybe hang out with the boys!

Her reasons to have the child at home were that she had had both experiences in the past, and the hospital experience had many problems. I will leaves the details out. No US birth plan here, no clean towels and sheets wrapped in plastic waiting for their time, no midwife, no prenatal check ups, no prenatal vitamins.. okay you get the picture. I must admit I was worried if something went wrong.

They must have thought I wouldn't be much help because within the week, while I was preparing supper, I heard the cry of a tiny baby. Without fanfare Fabiola was born into this world. Her father and her mother's friend Betty attending.

A few short days later I would head back to the US for the death of my father and his funeral. The circle of life revolving around and around. I was glad to get to greet Fabiola, but sad to miss her first month.

As I was headed to the airport, I remembered last minute that I needed someone to take care of my plants. Severina was logical in her nearness, though not because she had so much free time of her hands. As I passed off the plants, she looked at me with tears in her eyes and said that she was going to miss me. She is a quiet soft spoken person but when she said that I became all choked up. I would miss her too!.

Faviola is pictured below with me in my apartment. Current update is that she is chubby looking but is actually very light to carry around. She is a happy baby and I rarely hear her cry!


No comments:

Post a Comment