Tiqti Sud Chapel & Center

Tiqti Sud Chapel & Center

About Me

My photo
Called to be a Lay Missioner with the Franciscan Mission Service in Bolivia

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

I Am the Mover of Rocks





The Short Cut From Home To The Main Road(above)

I am the mover of rocks. When people ask me what I do sometimes I want to answer "I am the mover of rocks". Sounds like I am on the chain gang or have a manual labor job, but it is a little different.

I am the mover of rocks, small rocks you can hold in your hand, no bigger than your fist.

I am the mover of rocks, I move them from one altitude to another, sometimes to a higher altitude, sometimes along the same plane, other times I bring them back down again. I do this work almost daily, thus I reflect often on moving rocks.

I am the mover of rocks, I have not spurred any movements or changed the world hardly even my corner. Ii am the mover of rocks, one by one, two by two, sometimes up to four. Later I find them in my "purse", bag or pockets. They line my window sill at times.

I am the mover of rocks, over time maybe landscape will change. They end up in one of three places finally, but they come from all over. I am the mover of rocks.

I am the mover of rocks I say this to myself each day as I choose a stone or two and carry them with me. What is my role here in Bolivia, I am the mover of rocks.

If like the story of the beach strewn with starfish as the tide goes out, I was saving them one by one perhaps my time would have a different meaning.

Each day I say to myself, I am the mover of rocks. It has become a little mantra that has come out in this writing.

I have become something, I am the mover of rocks. I do this every day, I am waiting to pick up the same rock tha I left, but I really don't recognise them.

You are probably wondering why I am moving rocks back and forth, maybe I have an obsession. The answer is very simple, they are for protection from dogs!! Just having them along makes me ready for any encounter. If the dogs see you bending over to pick up a rock, they usually shy away. If there are no rocks, no problem the action of bending over and pretending you are picking it up is also enough to scare them away. I have only had to throw them once or twice, and being Franciscan of course makes me aim near but not at the dogs. They know what it feels like so they run!

2 comments:

  1. Funny! I've been a rock carrier too! I can proudly say I've been bitten by dogs in four countries... fortunately none too bad. My son Zeke, age 5, was bitten when he was 2 years old in South Africa, and even after a year living in the U.S.A. he still flinches when dogs come near him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine, I love this! Great job depicting how it is moving up and down those hills, protecting yourself from the dogs. I, too, was a mover of rocks-and a Franciscan one at that ;-)

    ReplyDelete