Tiqti Sud Chapel & Center

Tiqti Sud Chapel & Center

About Me

My photo
Called to be a Lay Missioner with the Franciscan Mission Service in Bolivia

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I Am In Bolivia




I know I am in Bolivia

When I see a truck fly by with wooden sides & 30-40 heads sticking up over the cargo area.

When I see people throw trash out the bus windows.
When a vendor doesn't have change for a small bill.
When no one gives up their seat on the bus to the old lady who just boarded the bus.
When I see a dog taking itself for a walk.
When I peek in an open doorway on a dirty desolate street and I see an oasis inside.
When I arrive at the International Airport and my 1/2 hr flight to Cochabamba gets canceled and there isn't another flight for 12 hours.
When it costs more to make a local call then to call the US.
When friends get robbed or assalted going to or leaving church.
When someone cuts in front of of a long line of people waiting.




When I see incredibly majestic mountains almost surrounding me in the distance and yet close up is severe poverty and dirty streets.

When I had parasites in my stomach.
When you just need to pick up something simple and it takes hours (and many walking miles) to locate.
When there are blockades on the road preventing you from going to work.
When there are strikes.
When you must say good afternoon and not just hi!
When you can buy a banana for 2 cents, a red bell pepper for 5 cents, and a pound of tomatoes for 8 cents (note in season!!)






When the exterminators come on motorcycles. (see above)
When a motor cycle passes with a family of 5 without helmets, and carrying shopping bags.
When children's education seems to be memorization and poorly done.
Yet the same children learn a higher level of practical items above their US counter parts.
When it snows in the Bolivian summertime.
When 30% of the people you know have lice.
When 35% of the children you know are malnourished.
When 90% of the children have parasites.
When you can still see children playing with marbles and wooden tops with strings. (see below)







No comments:

Post a Comment