Tiqti Sud Chapel & Center

Tiqti Sud Chapel & Center

About Me

My photo
Called to be a Lay Missioner with the Franciscan Mission Service in Bolivia

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Reunion in Bolivia




In the fall of 1999, I entered orientation with the Franciscan Mission Service in Silver Spring MD. We were the 14th or 15th Orientation Group. We were a class of 6 and 1/2 as we called Annamaria, who was 3 months old when she came for orientation. Pictured above is the reunion of 4 and 1/2 though, that half is obviously full grown now! (from left to right, myself, Diego, Annamaria, Lorena and Peggy)

Five of the six were missioned to Bolivia. The sixth, Tom, worked in El Salvador then in Colombia. Both Peggy and Debbie committed to a second 3 year term after completing their first three years. Lorraine (aka Lorena) was already in her second term when we met in orientation. I returned in 2010 for a second term. I was the only one of my group not to complete my original 3 year comissioning due to serious health problems.

Peggy returned to Bolivia independently this year, and is working with Franciscans International here in Cochabamba, the offices are located on the corner of the same block, in the Franciscan Peace and Justice Center.




As you can see we literally renuited right on the steps of San Francisco (The Church of Saint Francis). It would have been great if Tom and Debbie could have made it too!! Hopefully we can all reunite at the next FMS returned missioner retreat that takes place about every three years in the US. I often think of Tim and Cecilia who I was in mission with briefly toward the end of my time in Bolivia, and who hosted me for a later visit after my recuperation. They are in mission again with FMS, but this time in South Africa, they inspire me with their blog and email newsletters.




The man behind the first two photos is pictured in the third, Fr. Ignacio OFM. Brother Iggy as we know him is a major support for all the FMS missioners spanning 3 decades!! (90s, 00s, & teens!) Iggy knew Lorena before she met and married Diego in the 1990s. He has been working and living in Bolivia for over 30 years. My first time in Bolivia, Br. Iggy was living in La Paz, but he always made time to check on those of us who were in Cochabamba. He has also organized various retreats for FMS lay missioners over the years. He also likes to connect people together, from various walks of life. I had the privilege of meeting his two sisters when they came for a visit.


No comments:

Post a Comment