Tiqti Sud Chapel & Center

Tiqti Sud Chapel & Center

About Me

My photo
Called to be a Lay Missioner with the Franciscan Mission Service in Bolivia

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Sapanani


My first weeks in mission in 2010, I checked out a variety of of ministry possibilities. I went on a Saturday with the Foundation of San Lucas to the community of Sapanani, in the mountains north of Cochabamba Valley. At 5:00 PM on Friday evening I got a call to go up to the community for the weekend. Pretty short notice and considering I had other plans I agreed to only go for all day Saturday.

I went in a San Lucas vehicle with a group of workers to attend a workshop for rural medical educators, technicians and community organizers. We switch backed up the mountains and over the mountain pass to cross over to high mountain valleys. There were various talks and workshops. The health workers came from even more remote rural areas, some of them needing to to walk hours to reach their out-reaching communities. The people not only learned but shared and problem resolved with each other, it was great to see people working together.
I found out that I was there not to observe but to participate, which was difficult at times because Quechua was spoken frequently. I also quickly realized that I wished I had had my camera. A new friend took a photo of a particularly picturesque vista, saying he would email me the photo. I never saw the photo or him again.

Interestingly he had attended the Franciscan University in Carmen Pampa and knew former missioners Peggy and Alexandra! A huge lunch was prepared and after we wandered up the street to "the town" and I hung out with some of the local women, who were all very nice. It was a good experience, but with in a week I found that I would settle full time into my work with the parish of San Carlos, that I had begun part time that week.
I really liked the setting of Sapanani,though I must say that the high altitude and the heart stopping mountain road would make me think twice about working there. I also discovered a Rhubarb patch that was planted years ago by some foreigners. No one locally knew how to prepare it, so I was invited to take some home. Ah Rhubarb pie... yum!

Over the next years I knew many doctors who worked at the Franciscan Social Center in the San Lucas clinic, who would take turns working at the post in Sapanani and supporting the medical wrokers in the outlying region. Dr Claudio brought me a batch of Rhubarb once.
My boss Pepe had been inviting various times during this year to give workshops up in Sapanani on the topics of addictions and drugs. Finally in his last week before heading out on vacation, it was actually scheduled. He invited me to come along and I jumped at the chance to visit this beautiful place again. Even though it was technically winter it was still beautiful.
I had forgotten how treacherous the road was, large verticle drops without guard rails had me clutching the seat. I had to ask our speeding driver Don Carlos, the admistrator of San Lucas to slow down. I even`promised dinner if he did. On the way back he pointed out the sights were people who had driven off the road had died, comforting thoughts.
This time I, of course, took pictures. I was surprised that such an isolated rural community could have problems with drugs and addictions (other than alcohol). The groups was very animated and had lots of questions, they certainly wanted to learn even more and asked for other resources. They did have problems in the school and community, they shared stories and looked for solutions. I could write pages but one of the main themes was Prevention, Education and Intervention. The most interesting fact was that violence is the primary factor that leads to substance abuse, granted it isn't the only one just the primary one.

Below is a local youth, Don Carlos, Pepe, and myself in the garden not far from the Rhubarb patch. Of course I made another pie after the trip.

1 comment:

  1. Atención
    El objetivo es informar al público en general, hombres y mujeres sanos. Quién está interesado en
    Donar inmediatamente médula ósea (órganos renales) a riñones, testículos y contacto 100% serio. Correo electrónico; Marialadrimaholyclinic@gmail.com
    porque somos muchos
    Pacientes que actualmente necesitan un trasplante de riñón.
    ¿Está buscando la oportunidad de vender su riñón por dinero en efectivo para financiarlo
    Compraremos el tuyo
    Riñón por € 980.000
    Hígado: 700.000 €
    Ovarios: 900, 000 €
    Médula ósea: 900.000 €
    y también tenemos Vib / AIDS Ultra Vibros 11 medicamentos que lo curarán o le permitirán caminar más tiempo
    envíenos un correo electrónico
    CORREO;
    Correo;. Marialadrimaholyclinic@gmail.com
    WhatsApp: Pregúntame
    Sincero

    ReplyDelete